NAMI is a grassroots, volunteer-based organization dedicated to helping everyone affected by mental health disorders. We are a resource for people living with mental illness, for family members and friends who have a loved one who is ill, for veterans and their family members, for community members and for schools, agencies, organizations and other mental health professionals.
With NAMI There is Help. There is Hope.
So what should I do first?
A good place to start is to call our toll-free Help Line (1-800-464-5767). We have trained staff who will answer your call and who can provide information, referrals, resource materials and support. Access our Help Line services.
You can also find help through our Affiliates and support groups, our education courses and trainings by clicking on the appropriate tab at the top of this page.
In addition NAMI Maine provides information on advocacy and has a Family Respite program for families with children under the age of 18. For information on both of these click on the tab at the top of the page.
What if this is an emergency?
- If you are in an emergency situation (you are feeling suicidal or homicidal, or someone you know is talking about suicide or is threatening themselves or someone else), or you’re not sure, call the Maine Crisis Hotline at 1-888-568-1112. There is no charge to call.
- If someone has a weapon or has made a suicide attempt immediately call 911 for emergency assistance and keep yourself safe.
When calling 911:
- Let the dispatcher know details of the situation and that this is a mental health crisis.
- Ask if a CIT trained officer is on duty.
- Let the dispatcher know if any weapons have been used, and if any weapons are on the premises as well as anything else you think they should know about the situation and the person that might make it safer for everyone.
After the immediate crisis is resolved, call us. NAMI Maine can help you navigate the system, connect you to resources and to ongoing support. Words Can HelpPlease note:
NAMI Maine does not provide crisis counseling or abuse reporting services. For crisis information please call the crisis hotline 1-888-568-1112. To report child abuse call the child abuse hotline 1-800-452-1999, and for elder abuse call 1-800-624-8404.